maandag 27 december 2010

Tit for tat

I wanna be your fire baby
I don't wanna be your flame
I wanna be your window baby
I don't wanna be your house
I wanna play your organ baby
I don't wanna play your game
I'll meet you on the deck at midnight
I'll be quiet as a mouse

         I'm a fool but no clown
         when I smile I also frown
                  tit for that they call it
                  kings for kings they say
                  queens for queens today

the captain's wife took me out dancing
but boy we had to sneak away
we rowed our boat into the harbour
trying not to make a sound
the stars lit up the frozen sky and
we both longed for the warmer days
but soon the captain overtook us
at dawn her dead remains were found

          I can run but not fly
          when I laugh I also cry
          etc.

I mourned my loss upon the shoreline
singing you were sweet and kind
you were too good a dancer babe
and not meant for an early grave
but then the captain broke in saying
she was nothing of the kind
so I beat him till he looked like something
no doctor would attempt to save

           he was a fool and a clown
           he could swim but then he drowned
           etc.

1977.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten