donderdag 30 december 2010

A summer-night and on the town

The faces in the window
I know them all too well
with their twisted promise
and the stories that they can't tell

Red lights with their neon wink
and beer flows like the river
stop the time forget to think
tonight you're to deliver

        and I pity the poor women
        and the men who pay for fun
        trying like the devil
        to get the knot undone

Everybody's nice to me
this far, not any further
don't overreach yourself now see
that way you're bound to hurt her

The wife should be at home now
and I bet she's crying
saying no one likes her
and in her dreams she's trying

     to pity etc.

God I saw the drunkard
in his comic strip
on the nod, out on the floor
psycho Jesus in his crib

I passed Lady Godiva
freckled in long sleeves
the world her private tragedy
just there to keep her peeved
  
     and pitying etc.

          and you can be what you are
          I will be what I am
          we're looking at each other
          from our speeding cars
          and we understand (3x)


1976.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten