vrijdag 28 januari 2011

The upper hand (in never-neverland)

And of course I think you're ugly
from inside a cosy window
where I'm watching you so smugly
tho' I never can presume I know
you when you're all set on murder
where you care to take it one step further
than the boredom that your mother knew
that your daddy drummed right into you
things you shouldn't feel or do

And I've seen your dirty lofts
I spied upon your living-rooms
I have cleaned the hats you doffed
in the silly silence of your doom
you're either the victim or you hurt her
when you take it somewhat further
not in the manner that your mother knew
as your daddy took it out on you
things you shouldn't feel or do

Warily watching everywhere walking the streets of never-neverland
desperately trying to find some special little way so that for just once
you'd get the upper hand (3x)

Could I think I understand you
while I watch you drowning in that street ?
I could never ever brand you
with the standards that none meet
with the flags that once were waving
in the mirrors of our craving
in the many things our mothers knew
in the banners that our fathers flew
things we all should feel or do

I somehow love as I watch you
need you as I see the things you show
so with a glance I think I catch you
in the postures that I know
while ignoring all the courage there
and the saintly sadness rightly shared
with all the moments that your mother knew
while your daddy took'em away from you
all the things you shouldn't feel or do

refr.


May 1979

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten